吉利恩的一厢情愿 Unrequited Love

2021年1月24日
评论
1,083

“Excuse me, but would you mind telling me what you would do if you had $1,000?” asked Gillian.

“打扰了,你能否告诉我,要是你有1,000美元,你会用来干什么呢?” 吉利恩问道。

The blind man took a small book from his coat pocket and held it out.

盲人从大衣口袋里掏出一个小本子,递了过来。

Gillian opened it and saw that it was a bank deposit book.

吉利恩打开一看,原来是一本银行存折。

It showed that the blind man had a balance of $1,785 in his bank account.

上面显示这个盲人的银行账户上有1,785美元的余额。

Gillian returned the bank book and got back into the cab.

吉利恩把存折还了回去,又坐进了出租马车。

“I forgot something,” he said. “You may drive me to the law offices of Tolman and Sharp.”

“我忘了一件事,” 他说,“你开到托尔曼—夏普律师事务所去吧。”

Lawyer Tolman looked at Gillian in a hostile and questioning way.

托尔曼律师用带着敌意和质疑的眼光看着吉利恩。

“I beg your pardon,” said Gillian, cheerfully. “But was Miss Hayden left anything by my uncle’s will in addition to the ring and the $10 dollars?”

“还请你原谅,” 吉利恩高兴地说,“不过在我叔叔的遗嘱里,除了那枚戒指和10美元,还留了什么给海登小姐吗?”

“Nothing,” said Mr. Tolman.

“什么也没有。” 托尔曼说。

“I thank you very much, sir,” said Gillian, and went to his cab. He gave the driver the address of his late uncle’s home.

“非常感谢,先生。” 吉利恩说完便走向了他的马车。他把已故叔叔家的地址告诉了车夫。

Miss Hayden was writing letters in the library. The small, thin woman wore black clothes. But you would have noticed her eyes.

海登小姐正在书房里写信。这位瘦小的女人身穿黑色的衣服,但最引人注目的还是她的那双眼睛。

Gillian entered the room as if the world were unimportant.

吉利恩一副满不在乎的样子走进房间。

“I have just come from old Tolman’s,” he explained. “They have been going over the papers down there. They found a …”

“我刚从托尔曼律师那里来,” 他解释说,“他们一直在那里检查文件。他们发现了一个……”

Gillian searched his memory for a legal term. “They found an amendment or a post-script or something to the will.

吉利恩在他的记忆里搜寻一个法律术语,“他们找到了遗嘱的修正条款,或是附言之类的东西。

It seemed that my uncle had second thoughts and willed you $1,000. Tolman asked me to bring you the money. Here it is.”

我叔叔似乎改变了主意,立下遗嘱要给你1,000美元。托尔曼让我把钱带给你。诺,给你。”

Gillian laid the money beside her hand on the desk.

吉利恩把钱放在她手边的桌子上。

Miss Hayden turned white. “Oh!” she said. And again, “Oh!”

海登小姐脸色发白。“噢!” 她喊道,然后又是一声“噢!”

Gillian half turned and looked out the window. In a low voice he said, “I suppose, of course, that you know I love you.”

吉利恩半转过身子,向窗外望去。他低声说:“我想,你当然知道我爱着你了。”

“I am sorry,” said Miss Hayden, as she picked up her money.

“我很抱歉。” 海登小姐边说边拿起她的钱。

“There is no use?” asked Gillian, almost light-heartedly.

“这样都不行吗?” 吉利恩几乎是在用轻松愉快的口吻问。

“I am sorry,” she said again.

“我很抱歉。” 她又说了一遍。

“May I write a note?” asked Gillian, with a smile.

“我可以写个便条吗?” 吉利恩笑着问。

Miss Hayden supplied him with paper and pen, and then went back to her writing table.

海登小姐给了他纸和笔,然后回到她的写字台。

Gillian wrote a report of how he spent the $1,000:

吉利恩写了一份关于他如何花掉这1,000美元的报告:

“Paid by Robert Gillian, $1,000 on account of the eternal happiness, owed by Heaven to the best and dearest woman on Earth.”

“因为上天欠世上最好最可爱的女人永恒的幸福,罗伯特·吉利恩给予海登小姐1,000美元。”

Gillian put the note into an envelope. He bowed to Miss Hayden and left.

吉利恩把便条放进一个信封里。他向海登小姐鞠了一躬,然后走了。

His cab stopped again at the offices of Tolman and Sharp.

他坐的马车再次停在了托尔曼—夏普律师事务所的门前。

小e英语