The Strong Storm Brought People Closer Together
Ben could hear strong winds outside his home in Alabama. Black (1) (cloud) were making the sky very dark. Without (2) (some) light outside, it felt like midnight. The news on TV reported that a heavy rainstorm was in the area.
Ben’s dad was putting pieces of (3) (wood) over the windows while his mom was making sure the flashlights and radio were working. She also put some candles and matches on the table. Ben was helping his mom make dinner when the rain began to beat (4) (heavy) against the windows. After dinner, they tried to play a card game, but it was hard (5) (have) fun with serious storm happening outside.
Ben (6) (could) sleep at first. He finally fell asleep when the wind was (7) (die) down at around 3:00. When he woke up, the sun was rising. He went outside with his family and found the neighborhood in a mess. Fallen trees, (8) (break) windows and rubbish were everywhere. They joined the neighbors to help clean up the neighborhood together. (9) (although) the storm broke many things apart, it brought families and neighbors (10) (close) together.
66. clouds 解析：句意：天空乌云密布。由于空格后是were，由此可推断前面的名词应是复数形式，所以把cloud变为数形式clouds。
67. any 解析：句意：屋外没有任何亮光，就像黑夜一样。Without 表否定需与any连用，因此把some改为any。
68. wood 解析：句意：本的爸爸正把几块木头加固在窗户上。wood为不可数名词，其前面已经有量词pieces of来修饰了，因此对wood不做变化。
70. to have 解析：句意：但是要想在外面下着狂风暴雨的情况下玩好扑克牌是很困难的。“it is adj for sb to do sth”为固定结构，意为“对于某人来说做某事是…的”。因此把have变为to have。
71. couldn’t 或could not解析：句意：“本一开始睡不着。”根据下句“He finally fell asleep…他最后终于睡着了…”可知一开始本是不能睡着，因此把could变为couldn’t 或could not。
72. dying 解析：句意：“在下午三点左右风渐渐小了。”由句意可知风是正在逐渐变小，需用进行时，因此把die变为dying。
73. broken 解析：句意：“被吹到的树，破损的窗户以及垃圾遍地都是。”这里需要一个过去分词用作形容词作定语修饰window窗户，因此把break变为broken。
74. Although 解析：句意：“尽管暴风雨摧毁了很多东西…”，由于位于句首，需要把首字母大写，因此把although变为Although。
75. closer 解析：句意：“…暴风雨使得人们更团结。”由句意和标题The Strong Storm Brought People Closer Together可知此处需用比较级，因此把close变为closer。
【小题6】couldn’t 或could not